Friday, October 21, 2011

Tiny fairy

I've been trying to decide how to dress this little fairy, I think I'm going to go with the season and use silk leaves in fall colors.  I made a vest of very thin Premier Clay.
I picked up a great tip at NIADA.  Dianne Effner gave a short demo on making shoes from Hearty Clay and she said she uses Matte Dura-Lar between the foot and the sole of the shoe.  I hadn't heard of this product, so I googled it.  It's an archival, polyester mylar film.  It comes in pads or individual sheets and in different thicknesses.  I picked up a couple sheets at Dick Blick.  I have found it has many uses...it's great for making pattern pieces because it's waterproof and doesn't curl up. It's a great surface to roll your clay out on and peel it off, and it's reusable.
I made a pattern for the fairy's vest and shoes from the Dura-Lar, placed it on top of a very thin piece of clay and cut around the pattern.  It left a nice clean edge, and a very smooth surface, take a look at the photo.
I'm finally getting all my craft supplies unpacked, after a move in 2009, I discovered I still had a few bottles of Hannie Sarris paints, made me a little sad to think I had corresponded with her  just a few years back and she had sent me her special paints. She was only 57 when she passed away in 2010, much too young.  I still like to visit her website,http://www.hanniesarris.nl/page.php?lang=en.
I used one of Hannie's favorite colors called "Sun Kissed" to paint the body.  Next I'll paint the vest and make a tiny skirt from my silk leaves.

2 comments:

Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

SUSAN.. THE FAIRY VEST AND SHOES ATE COMING GREAT... I BE NEVE4DONE CLOTHES OUT OF CLAY..VERY NEAT AND PERFECT LOOKING. THAT DURA LAR LOOKS REALLY GOOD FOR PATTERNS... OK KEEP POSTING!!!

Susan said...

Colleen, you are THE BEST for sharing great tips and introducing us to new products. I've learned more from your blog than any other!!!!
Waiting to see what you'll do for Christmas.
Hey....you even introduced me to blogging!