Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Finishing Touches Fall Fairy

After all the flesh areas were based in and the paper clay vest and shoes were thoroughly dry, I applied 4 coats of Gesso before painting.  I have learned from experience, Gesso first, and don't use a lot of water when you start to base in the clothing....you can actually melt details like buttons and buckles if you use too much water.
I used several shades of green for the vest, metallic gold for the buttons and buckle; and then a touch of green metallic pearl powder over the completed vest.  The shoes were stippled in shades of brown and then covered with Tim Holz Copper alcohol ink.  I made soles from tan Hearty clay and glued them to the bottom of the shoe.

As I mentioned in my last entry, I decided to go with Fall colors to dress my fairy.  I cut pieces from some silk oak leaves and layered them together to make her skirt.  When I added the clay vest I left a gap between the body and the vest, just under the waistline to allow room to glue in the skirt.
.
I blushed her body and face with Pan Pastels.  I made a tiny wig cap from silk and attached fine kid mohair which I dyed a deep shade of Strawberry blonde. The curls were made by wrapping small pieces of damp mohair around a fine knitting needle and baking them at 200 degrees in my Deni Oven for about 5 minutes.

I made a little hat from a piece of antique lace, which I painted with Color Hue fabric paint and then sewed on tiny green metallic seed beads....I love adding all the little details.  After sealing with a few coats of Krylon Matte, shes's finished.  What do you think? 

3 comments:

Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

I think she is so PRECIOUS....AND THAT HAIR IS AMAZING....WOW...JUST BEAUTIFUL. SUSAN..I THINK YOU ARE NOW THE QUEEN OF ELVEN FAIRIES!@! THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE CREATIVE TIPS YOU VE GIVEN

Susan said...

Hey thanks Colleen!! I thought about you when I was making that hair...I'll bet yours is curly like this when you don't straighten it.
You have beautiful hair!
So I'm anxious to see what you are going to make next!

Shashi Nayagam said...

She is a darling. Love your work