Thursday, October 2, 2008

OFFF




This past weekend I attended the Flock and Fiber Festival in Canby, Oregon. It's a great event and I met so many wonderful people. There are fiber arts demonstrations and many hands on activities. I even tried spinning for the first time, I have to admit I felt a little klutzy.
I met a woman from Germany who was demonstrating bobbin lace making.....it was quite amazing, she said it was easy, but I have my doubts.

One of my favorite parts though, is viewing all the animals. I made three trips to the barns. I love the angora, blue faced leicester, lincoln, icelandic, alpacas and many other varieties that breeders bring to the fair for judging. The people that participate are so friendly and truly love their animals.

I also went upstairs in the Main building and to see the samples submitted for the fleece competition. I met a very nice woman, Patricia Keeley, when I was admiring her 1st place blue faced leicester fleece....I need to buy some of that!
Some of the priced fleece is available for purchase, I split a bag of 1st place Icelandic x Lincoln fleece with a young "spinner", TJ (Tracy Jane). She and I were both amazed by all the beautiful shades and textures of black, grey and brown in this very soft wool fleece, but we didn't need 3 pounds of it! TJ can't wait to see what it looks like spun, and I'm anxious to try it out on a doll.

Speaking of buying, there are so many fiber vendors, with some great products at reasonable prices. I spoke with Sarah Anderson, who I met last year. One of her hand-made yarns was featured in Spin-off this past spring....it's amazing. I've purchased quite a few beautiful fibers from her booth and incorporated them in doll clothing.

I just received some awesome, kid angora goat mohair, which I ordered from Lin Schwider, who I met at the OFFF, www.thepinesfarm.com , she won first place for her angora fleece.

1 comment:

Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

oh...i'm so siked you have started this blog...this writeup on your "flock and fiber" trip is full of information....i may just purchase that "spinner" magazine because of the information you have shared.....

ps...forgot to tell you i LOVE your hedgehog...i want to learn this technique so bad now!!! colleen